Specialty shops in Athens
1. Elena Votsi: The Athens 2004 Olympic Medal Designer has made a name for herself creating wonderful pieces in gold, silver, coral, glass and pearl. Make sure to check out her beautiful Greek evil eyes cased in gold, an excellent gift for both men and women. If you happen to visit the island of Hydra make sure to visit her store located on the harbor.
7, Xanthou Street
210 360 0936
2. Workshop Karellas: Smack in the heart of Athens’ ancient blacksmith neighborhood lies this small musical instrument work-shop that hand makes traditional Greek folk instruments. Whether you’re a musician or not you will appreciate the beauty of this special shop.
14, Louka Nika
210 322 5963www.karellas.gr
3. Martinos: Three floors of icons, paintings, furniture and antiques. When you are looking for something super special Martino's is your place. Housed in a beautiful building, one of the only one on Pandrossou Street not be covered in graffiti. Gorgeous icons, paintings, pottery and furniture. Martino's is pricey but special.
4. Greece is For Lovers: Three young Greek designers and their take on Greek products. A marble skateboard, Opa shower curtain, crotched ipod covers etc. You get the picture.
5. Ianos: Wonderful book store. Visit the rear of the shop for a terrific selection of Greek handmade notebooks.